So this dress took me an hour to make. An hour. And probably about 10-15 minutes of that hour was spent getting out various tools (a seam ripper was necessary on this one) and helping my son with his computer game. And it is adorable, and I love it, and I have to thank my friend Lori for finding this shirt at the thrift store this morning. I started with this shirt--
Which, by itself is a cute little peasant top, I love the borders on the lower part. But when Lori and I saw it, we both had the same vision, largely because of the shirring. It just screamed to be remade into a sundress.
To start, I turned the shirt inside out, marked a line where I wanted to stitch, and stitched a new side seam. I did this before I cut the sleeve off because I didn't want the shirring to come out. And you'll see in this photo that I did not use a straight line, I angled outward in order to keep the fullness at the bottom of the shirt. After stitching a new side side seam, I cut off the sleeves.
Next, I cut the sleeves open and laid them flat. It was a hard choice which side to use, but since the shirring would hold the dress on and the straps/sleeves didn't have to be strictly functional, I decided to use the inner part of the sleeve with the elastic casing as my sleeves.
So I chose a line (love striped fabric) and cut along that line for a little flutter sleeve. The front and back were slightly different shapes, but easy enough to fix by folding the sleeve in half and cutting the the sides to match and did a little zig-zag on the raw edge to finish it. (How I long for a serger) Then I marked where I wanted the sleeves to go, sewed them on and---
The almost instant sundress!
All ready to wear after naptime! With only a little bribing for photos.
And of course all of this is helping me gain confidence in working with knits, double bonus!