So I went to my scrap stash and looked through it, and came up with these.
The stripes are scraps of seersucker fabric leftover from shorts and pants and the stars were an impulse buy at JoAnn fabrics on Friday (fat quarters were on sale)
He chose a red t-shirt from his drawer, and I cut a 3"X3" square, 2 strips of the blue and 2 strips of the red stripes. I didn't measure these, I just laid it all out on the shirt and eyeballed it.
Once everything was placed where I wanted, I used some HeatBond to tack it down.
And then, using a straight stitch, sewed it all in place. I like the look of the slightly frayed edges so I didn't finish any of the edges.
And 10 minutes later---
A brand "new" 4th of July t-shirt for the boy!
I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday weekend!