Friday, December 23, 2011

11th hour Christmas Presents

Do your kids do this....they get the Toys R Us (or other) catalog and suddenly they want a toy from that catalog that you have never seen or heard of before? Or make a list for Santa that does not include ONE thing that "Santa" has already bought for Christmas?? Please, please tell me (even if you have to lie) that I am not alone in this!

This year my son has been all Lego, all the time, so we told everyone "Legos, get the kid legos for Christmas! He loves them, hardly plays with anything else!" and felt quite safe with that, after all he's been making lists from the Lego catalog since his birthday (September). And then, quite suddenly, two weeks ago he spots an Angry Birds board game in the TRU catalog and suddenly that's the ONLY thing he's talked about. He even wrote a letter to Santa (twice) to ask for that game.

Well, I did not buy that game (and to be honest, after seeing it's price tag I'm not going to either) so now I'm left with THE dilemma. Give the boy the other 50 (a slight exaggeration, I hope) gifts he's getting and let it go at that, or find a way to get him the thing he's been asking for?

Luckily, I remembered a blog post from Obsessively Stitching that has all the patterns to make your own set of Angry Birds and Pigs. She has patterns and tutorials for making a complete set, truly amazing! And in my case, a major lifesaver. So, I got busy making the Angry Birds and Pigs for my kids ( because little sister's favorite phrase is "Me TOO!") ***Note: although I did use some of her patterns, I did not follow the tutorials exactly, and I used felt for some of the pieces because it's what I had on hand. Any mistakes I made are my own.***


And as of 11pm last night, this is how far I've gotten.


One big Pig (who still needs a crown)


2 Yellow Birds


2 Red Birds (right now these guys are my favorite)


2 baby Pigs

So, tonight after the kids are in bed, my plan is to make them each a blue bird and a crown for the big pig, and DONE!

Then we can combine these with some foam blocks we got a few years ago from my sister in law and have a game similar and just as fun as the store board game. Fingers crossed!


Have a Very Merry Christmas 
and Happy New Year!!!


2 comments:

  1. Heather - you rock! i love the yellow bird! Can't wait to come to your house to play angry birds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff for babies especially the angry birds. Babies would really love these.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!