Friday, December 9, 2011

Super-Easy Ruler Picture Frames

I know school pictures were a while ago, and I meant to put this post up months ago (really, really I did!) but let's roll it out for the holidays because I think these would make really cute gifts.

I was inspired by the fall Pottery Barn catalog, where so many of the kids' rooms and playrooms had a back- to- school theme. I noticed that there were a lot of rulers used as accents in the rooms and inspiration struck. Why not use school rulers to frame the kids' yearly school photos?

So I went over to Target and picked up a bunch of plain wood rulers for just 50 cents each. Then, off to the Dollar Store for some plain wood frames for, yes, only $1 each. I bought 8x10 frames, one for each kiddo, and then I liked these so much I went back and bought some 5x7 frames for the smaller photos.

And here's how I made them.


First, lay out your rulers on top of your frame and set them how you like them. I wanted mine to be offset on each corner, so I laid mine out with about an inch and a half extended off each edge.



I marked where I needed to trim the rulers and cut them on a band saw to the desired length. There is a metal edge, which I discovered you can easily pull out using a pair of needle nose pliers. Clip to match the length of the cut down ruler and push back in. Or you can cut through the metal as you're cutting the ruler on your saw, whichever you prefer.

Next, grab some glue (I used Elmer's wood glue) and glue the cut pieces of the ruler to the wood picture frame and set aside to dry.


Last, insert your child's school photo. Done!


How easy was that?! And total cost, $3.

You could easily add embellishments or, do a dry brush or light stain on the rulers to change the colors to match your room or decor. I'm a plain kinda gal, so I kept mine the way they were.

And how much would Grandma like her school photos in a cute new frame this year??




Linked up With
House of Hepworths
Somewhat Simple
Naptime Crafters
Frugal Girls Chic and Crafty

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!