Monday, January 23, 2012

Just can't get enough...ANGRY BIRDS!!!

I have been on a knitting kick lately. I actually finished my first knitted hat last week. Taught myself how to knit on DPN's (double pointed needles, for those who don't knit) in order to finish the hat. I made one for my daughter and am going to start one for my son. But those of you who have kids know that they have  ZERO patience waiting for you to finish the hat, toy, shorts, skirt, dress or whatever you are making for them. Am I right?

So what does this have to do with Angry Birds?  Well, after the Angry Birds I made them for Christmas, my son mentioned wanting an Angry Birds hat. And since I can sew faster than I can knit, I thought these hats would help hold them back while I finished the knitted hats.

I used an existing  fleece hat to make a pattern for the hats and appliqued the faces, beaks and feathers onto the hat. Basically I made 2 hat pieces, a front and a back with darts in the top to help shape the hat, cut pieces of fleece for the faces, feathers and beaks and sewed them on the front of the hat. Then I sewed the two side seams of the hat together, added the feathers at the top, and stitched the darts in. Then I made an 1 1/2 inch hem at the bottom, turned it under and stitched it in place, then added the beaks.

My son picked the "Bomb" Bird and my daughter picked the "Blue" Bird (didn't get a good photo in process of the bomb bird) so here is the Blue bird with the pieces laid out.


And my son wearing the finished Bomb Bird hat.


Both hats finished. (I didn't get a photo of my daughter wearing hers....yet)



Gotta admit they're very cute, and the kids just love 'em!

3 comments:

  1. We LOVE angry birds in our house too!!! Would you please share these with my readers for Fun Stuff Fridays? http://www.toysinthedryer.com/2012/01/fun-stuff-fridays-8.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonderful. My boys want to be angry birds for halloween. I was going to knit them toques but figured sewing would be quicker and would match the body perfectly. They want to be the bomb bird and the king pig. Thanks for the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful. My boys want to be angry birds for halloween. I was going to knit them toques but figured sewing would be quicker and would match the body perfectly. They want to be the bomb bird and the king pig. Thanks for the great pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!