Sunday, April 1, 2012

Knitting--Cowls

I have been on a knitting kick lately. It's spring in Arizona, and I have gone into a knitting frenzy. It makes no sense whatsoever, but there it is. In fact, I have abandoned several sewing and wood projects midway through to knit. My good friend Alison is responsible for this obsession of mine, as she taught me (at my request) how to knit in the summer of 2009. At the time my sewing machine was not set up all the time and I was looking for something to do that could be easily put away every evening. So I learned how to knit. I'm not that fast, and I haven't ventured into very difficult patterns, but I like it and it's still great for the evenings when I want to do something crafty without having to think too much. I always have at least one project going so it's easy to go pick up the bag, settle into the couch and pick up where I left off.

One thing I stumbled on this year are knitted cowls. I made myself an infinity scarf earlier in the winter from some jersey knit fabric and I just fell in love with it. It's the best marriage between a scarf and a turtleneck shirt in my opinion. So, when I mentioned that in a Facebook post, my friend Alison spoke right up and reminded me that a cowl can be knitted also.

I was nervous about knitting in the round after a very bad hat experience (another post altogether), so I chose a cowl that is worked flat, then twisted and seamed together. The pattern is from an old KnitScene magazine I picked up from our local used book store. The whole thing is worked in garter stitch (knit every row) and isn't super long, so it proved an excellent starter project.


And here is the result. I love that the yarn I chose gave such nice stripes, and the colors work with just about everything in my wardrobe. Plus it is warm and soft. The perfect neck accessory.

The next cowl I made I found on Ravelry.com, an online knit and crochet website. If you knit or crochet and you haven't tried out Ravelry I highly recommend that you do. The whole site can seem a bit overwhelming at first, but like anything else, just start small and work your way up to the larger features. I've just recently started using the library and project features myself.

So I found the Looped Loop pattern for free on Ravelry and decided to make use of some really pretty yarn that I've had for a year sitting in a box, waiting for the perfect project. It took me about a week to finish this one, it is 44" long total, again the pattern is worked flat and seamed at together at the ends.


A front view, with the cowl doubled.


A side view.


Worn long. Isn't that yarn pretty?

This cowl was actually made for as a going away gift for one of my closest friends, Carolyn. Her favorite color happens to be purple and even though she's not moving that far north, I knew she'd love the colors and softness of the cowl. Plus, I like to think of this as my way of giving her a hug whenever she needs it, even if I'm not there.  I sure will miss her.



More adventures in knitting to come.....



1 comment:

  1. Awesome as always friend! I especially love how you modeled your scarf while wearing a tank top!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!