Thursday, May 31, 2012

Pants to Purse Upcycle

I randomly decided that I needed to make myself a new purse last week. Sometimes when I'm working on one (or more) large projects I just need to make something quick and simple. It actually helps when I've gotten too bogged down with the big project to have a little sewing commercial break, so to speak. In this case, a purse.

I'd seen the pattern for The Buttercup Bag at Made By Rae last summer, and I just loved it, so I finally printed out the pattern and decided to give it a try.  I have to say, one of the things that appealed to me most about this purse is the size. It's nice and small, which I love after years of carting around a diaper bag! Now, don't get me wrong, I love a tote bag....but I usually save those for project specific purposes like scrapbooking or knitting.

Another thing that I sometimes get hung up on is picking the right fabric for a project. Sometimes I see the fabric and just know what it needs to be, even if I don't have exactly the right furniture or pattern for it so of course I buy it anyway (which explains why I have so much fabric in my stash!).  But in this case, I had the pattern and several good fabric choices, and I couldn't pick one. But then I dug down to the bottom of my "working" basket and found an old pair of pants that I'd picked up at the thrift store last summer. And there it was, my purse fabric!

Yes, pants. Actually, women's size 14 capri pants to be exact. I remember seeing these in the store and thinking; love the fabric, but as pants?! So, I went ahead and bought them. I figured I'd find them a new purpose someday.


And it seems that I had. I gathered up the pattern pieces, the pants, the red polka dots for the lining and the black polka dot as a bias trim and got to work. 


For the most part I followed her instructions, which you can find step by step here. The only things I did differently, were to add 2 pockets in the lining instead of one, and a zipper rather than a snap as the top closure. 

So my lining ended up looking like this---


I added a strip of black polka dot bias between the top and bottom of the purse as well as the top of the pockets. So, when I had all the pieces assembled, here's what I had---


The zipper was tricky. I am sure there's an easier way to put a zipper in a purse than the way I did it, but last night I just couldn't figure it out, so I just sandwiched it between the outer purse fabric and the lining and topstitched it in place. I found these really fun zippers on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics so I left some of the zipper tape showing.



And now I have a cute new purse for the summer! Made from a pair of pants, how fun is that?



I think I am going to take it out to lunch tomorrow to celebrate!


What have you upcycled??


Linked Up With
Just A Little Creativity
House of Hepworths
Frugal Girls
Bowdabra Blog

5 comments:

  1. Great work! I'm a huge fan of upcycling, especially of upcycling trousers to bags. That zip is just fantastic - being in the UK I am now jealous, though I am sure I could find it online somewhere, at a price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work! I'm a huge fan of upcycling, especially of upcycling trousers to bags. That zip is just fantastic - being in the UK I am now jealous, though I am sure I could find it online somewhere, at a price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I do love to upcycle! I'm thinking of trying a new pattern for a purse or bag later this summer. Hope you keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather these are totally over the top awesome!

    We host a weekly Crafty Showcase (Sat-Thur) with the Featured links on Friday. It would be an honor if you would stop over and link up this fun crafty idea post or any others you want to share!

    We also have a linky for ETSY and Crafty Business links!

    Have a great weekend!

    Susie
    http://bowdabrablog.com/2012/06/02/saturday-showcase-craft-projects-4/

    ReplyDelete
  5. That purse is just too cute! I host Getting Crafty Weekend link Party at Crafting in My Closet and I would love for you to link up this super cute purse.

    http://tapeschkecrafts.blogspot.com/2012/06/getting-crafty-weekend-link-up-2.html

    Teresa
    Crafting in my Closet

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!