Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fabric Covered Bulletin Board

I'm starting to rearrange and reorganize my craft/sewing room this month. It's a big task for such a small room, and not as cut and dried as I thought it would be when I started.

I actually didn't mean to do this. I bought 2 new pieces of furniture from a consignment sale a few weeks ago, and silly me, I thought I'd just move some things over and they'd fit right in.

That never really works, does it?

So, now I'm in the process of a major overhaul to the sewing room. I'll be posting finished projects as I go along, starting with this one.

One of the things that I pulled off the wall to make room for the new armoire is my bulletin board. It's a nice big one, but since one of my plans is to put in a lot of shelves, it simply won't fit and be usable in the room anymore. So, I decided to swap the it with the one we have near the front door, which is much smaller.

I wanted to give it a little freshening up, so I decided to cover the cork with fabric. Here's one of those times that I'm glad I buy random fabric, because I found just the thing in my stash.


I had this cute owl fabric remnant that's a light canvas, and just wide enough to cover the board. Love it when that happens!

Most of the tutorials for covering cork boards involved taking the cork out of the frame, but I couldn't do that with this one without taking the entire frame apart, and I didn't want to do that. So, I decided to go with and old favorite---spray adhesive.


I sprayed the entire cork board front with the spray adhesive, let it get tacky, then laid the fabric down on top, with the edges overlapping the frame.  Then, just using my hands, I smoothed out the wrinkles in the fabric, working from the right to the left side.


My bulletin board was old and well used, so there were little bumps where the cork was worn, but I wasn't really worried about that, I just flattened out the fabric, keeping it as even and straight as possible.


Next I took a sharp mat knife and trimmed all the extra fabric away from the inside of the frame.




I probably could have stopped right there and called it done, but I wanted to make sure the edges were really secure, so I got out my trusty glue gun and glued some trim around the edges.




Once the trim was done, it was ready to hang. I took the smaller bulletin board down, and hung this one in it's place near the front door.


How cute! The size works so much better in this area, and it will be great for school forms, coupons, reminders, anything that I want to remember to grab before walking out the door. Already started, in fact---


This was a really simple and quick project, it only took me about 45 minutes total. And since I already had all the materials on hand, it was free. I will definitely be doing this with the smaller one that will be going into my craft room. Hopefully I'll get lucky again and the perfect fabric will already be in my stash! I'll keep you posted!

Linked Up Here

3 comments:

  1. Super cute idea! The owl fabric is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable, i love owls and adore upcycling!!!
    i'd love for you to join us over at live love laughs linky party
    hope to see you there
    http://live-love-laugh-interiordesign.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This type of fabric designs are look so beautiful and extra ordinary design work.It such a greate project work for the table designing.I prefer it when i celebrate some party.

    Linen Tablecloth

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!