Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Fitted Tablecloth

I have a small, old, well-loved wooden kid's table in my dining room. I'm not sure how long it's been a part of my family, I think it was one of my mother's garage sale finds back when my siblings were younger. The early 80's maybe? Is it vintage yet?

Anyway, my mom sent it to me when my son was around a year old along with 2 wooden school chairs that I know are antiques. The chairs came from the attic of an old schoolhouse that was being torn down and renovated. I love the way they look, worn in some spots, scratched, but still very sturdy.

The table top has seen better days though, it's really stained and there's a big worn spot almost dead center that could use some sanding. But I already have a line of furniture waiting for new paint, so I really wanted a quick and easy fix.

So, I was really excited when I stumbled upon a tutorial for a fitted tablecloth on Craftiness is Not Optional. (I love her blog!) It seemed like the perfect solution. I followed the tutorial as written, it's super easy. The only thing that I did differently was that I used laminated cotton instead of oilcloth, because it's what I had on hand. This lovely fabric remnant was yet another thrifty find at SAS Fabrics and turned out to be the perfect size to make the tablecloth.






Oilcloth would last longer, and if I decide to do a bigger one for our dining room table, where the larger arts and crafts happen, I would definitely use that instead. This table is so small though, that the laminated cotton works fine. I'm really pleased with how it turned out, and it did give the table a makeover in less than an hour.  And it is so much easier to wipe down! I can't ask for much more than that.

Here's the funny thing, now that it's on the table, the kids are being extra careful not to get it dirty. Ha! I wonder how long that's going to last?

1 comment:

  1. It awesome designs for table. It sanding the new paint of the furnitures. It look so colourful and innovative design. It one type of art and crafting designs on the fabric.

    Tablecloths

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!