Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Buzz Lightyear Costume

I love a costume request like this next one. Mom sent me an email that started with, "My 2 year old daughter LOVES Buzz Lightyear..."

You know where we're headed, right?

Luckily for me she also found Cole's Corner and Creations, who had made a series of Toy Story Costumes for her daughter's birthday. All three of the costumes are SO cute! And what a great idea she had to make a Buzz Lightyear costume in dress form for a little girl.

Using this idea as a jumping off point, I made a Buzz Lightyear toddler dress using some knit, cotton, stretch satin, and even a little seersucker fabric. For the top, I used a McCalls pattern (6017) with some ruffles and bias edging added to the straps.


The top pieces cut.

On the front of the bodice I used some small pieces of knit and Heat Bond to make some simple button and name plate details. Then I hand embroidered "Buzz" on the name tag.



After edging the ruffle pieces with the red and white striped bias, I added them to the straps.


Then, I put the bodice together and added the straps.


For the skirt, I made a simple gathered skirt from white stretch satin with a small strip of purple cotton fabric around the top edge and a band of green polka dot cotton fabric on the bottom.


And, finished!


Simple, and sweet. And oh, yes, the little girl knew that it was Buzz without a doubt, her face just lit up when she saw it. 


I'm beginning to feel a little bit like the Halloween Costume Fairy....hmmmm, there may be something to that!


Linked Up HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!