Thursday, October 25, 2012

Shark Girl Costume

I have been making this little girl's Halloween costumes for the last 3 years, and let me tell you, she is an outside the box thinker if I've ever met one! So far she's been an alligator and she and her baby brother were the boy and girl bumblebees (with stingers, if you please!) last Halloween.

This year Emma decided she wanted to be a shark. But not a plain, old shark "suit"; a girl shark with "teeth and a dress." As a side note, don't ever let anyone tell you that small children are indecisive, they know exactly what they want, especially when it comes to their Halloween costumes. So, a girl shark dress and hood with teeth it shall be!

During the month of October, I play the role of the Costume Fairy.

My idea was to use make a simple pillowcase dress using grey satin, with a white satin stomach and jagged teeth along the hemline. The dress came together really quickly, the most time consuming part was sewing all the triangular "teeth".


I used a bright pink ribbon through the neckline of the dress, so that everyone would clearly see she's a girl shark.

For the shark's head, I used a basic hood pattern, added a fin on the top, eyes on either side of the head, and teeth around the front opening.


Once I had fit it to Emma's head, I added snaps to the bottom corners to help keep it in place. It was a little big and satin is very slippery.


And easy as that--Shark Girl Costume!


Cue the theme music to "Jaws."


Da...dum...da....dum....


My all-time favorite line,"I think you're going to need a bigger boat!"


Linked Up HERE

3 comments:

  1. How refreshing it is that a little girl wants to be something other than a fairy princess! This girl's original, I love it! Super fun.

    Would love it if you linked your costume up to my Halloween Costume Link Party. We're giving away prizes, too!

    Happy Halloween :)
    Sarah
    Cable Car Couture

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sarah! She's one of a kind for sure! I've linked up to your party, thanks for the kind invitation!
      Happy Halloween!

      Delete
  2. Hi can I order this costume? Lonazack@aol.com or please call me at 3053182398 thank you Lona

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!