Thursday, January 17, 2013

A Quilt in Progress

Sometimes I just want to sew something.

I know that sounds weird since it seems like I sew all the time, but that's not really the case. There are a lot of steps between an idea and the sewing machine and sometimes I find myself weighed down by the in between steps and start longing for the simplicity of just sewing.

So, I decided to start a quilt. Yes, there's a lot of cutting involved in a quilt, but once that's done everything else is sewing, perfection!

I have quite a stash of gorgeous designer cottons thanks to our local store SAS Fabrics. (Seriously, local Tuscon folks go to this store, there are so many treasures for such a great price. I promise you won't be disappointed.) So I pulled out a bunch of my fabrics, and mixed and matched colors and patterns until I had a combination that I liked.


I really like bright colors, and I really wanted to incorporate oranges and golds with some blues, plus these are some of my favorite fabric designs, especially the owls. I also wanted a simple square block so I chose the Bright Hopes quilt blocks. It's a quick and easy pattern to put together; remember I really wanted to SEW!

Once I cut my fabrics, I laid everything out on my cutting board so I could mix and match and see what worked best together.


It took some shuffling, but I finally had all the pieces in the right order, and then spent the evening sewing the blocks together. Ahhhh....finally, some quality time with my sewing machine!

Once I got my blocks together, I decided to add some sashing between them with some off-white Kona cotton that I had in my stash.


And that's my quilt progress so far. I did get a border around the outside edge and cut my pieces for the back, but that will have to wait until next time. I really like how the quilt is going so far, and of course I was really happy to spend a few hours just sewing. So, progress...but not quite finished.

Stay tuned!


1 comment:

  1. So cute! I feel the same way sometimes. I just want to go in my sewing room and make something...just without the prep work that comes with the project.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!