Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Alison's Chairs

There is something about re-upholstery. Or re-finishing or re-painting or re-doing. For me, there's something about the act of taking a favorite piece of furniture that's old and worn, and re-making it into a "new" favorite.

So, when my friend Alison mentioned her pair of 30+ year old armchairs that needed to be re-done, I, naturally, jumped at the opportunity. The chairs are really nice size and are structurally in perfect shape, just really, really worn. And white. Rather, they were white once, but with a houseful of kids (3 boys!) and at least 15 years of wear, they're now sort of a whitish grey.


A cute chair in desperate need of new fabric if ever I've seen one. Alison picked out a lovely, dark (3 boys, remember) colored floral brocade to re-cover them, and I got to work.

One interesting thing about re-upholstering old furniture is what you find underneath the fabric. Most older pieces will have cotton batting inside which looks like this--


A little sad looking, but padding gets flattened out over time. So, what I like to do, is add some new polyester batting to the chair in order to add some extra padding.  Then the chair looks like this--


It already looks better, doesn't it? Then, I just begin the re-upholstery process. Starting with the seat--


Now, on this chair, the inner parts of the arms and the back are all one piece. So, after sewing them together, they all go on as one big piece like this--


Once that was done, I added the buttons. 16 per chair in all. Then I finished the sides--


And the back--


Then I sewed a new cushion for the seat and put the whole thing back together--




Quite an improvement, I'd say! I'm loving this fabric on this style of chair, and the colors are much better for a house with children. And the best part is that it's still a favorite piece of furniture, re-done and made "new" again. A perfect upcycle.


Linked Up HERE

5 comments:

  1. I love this! The fabric is awesome and losing the skirt totally changes the look of the chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make it look so easy. Gorgeous job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a huge project! Turned out fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!