Friday, January 4, 2013

An Easy Chair Upcycle

Happy New Year!! I hope everyone's holidays were awesome and not too exhausting. I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but I am looking forward to getting a bunch of new (and not so new) projects done this year. With that said, let's get started....

I love thrift stores. Sometimes I think I may love them a little too much. Not that buying 3 chairs in one day was excessive at all.

Nope. Not at all.

One of the chairs ia a nice little bentwood with a caned seat, which is not something you see around very often these days. But I remember my nana having these chairs around her kitchen table when I was a kid, so between the nostalgia, and the size (perfect for my sewing table) buying this was a given.

So, I brought it home and used it, until the inevitable happened.


The caning on the chair was so old and brittle that it just splintered. And for a while I thought about re-caning it, but Arizona heat and dryness can be really hard on wicker, so I decided to just go ahead and re-do the whole chair.

First I removed all the old caning and spray painted the whole chair a matte dark brown, I believe the color is called "Espresso".  Next, I cut a circle out of 1/2 inch plywood to fit the seat. Then, I dug around in my fabric stash and found a scrap of one of my favorite fabrics that was just big enough to cover the seat.

And with a wave of my upholstery stapler----


A cheerful new little sewing chair. I love this fabric, it just makes me happy every time I see it.


It's also super comfortable and fits right in with the odd mix of fabrics in my craft room. One day, the craft room re-do will be finished and I will be able to share that....lots of work to do yet. In the meantime, I'm enjoying my new sewing chair!


 Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!