Friday, March 22, 2013

Black Cat Cake Pops

Cake pops have become a birthday tradition. I realized this last night while I was making these for my daughter's class. I'm not sure when or how this happened, but I could no more cancel cake pops than I could cancel Christmas.

Since the cake pops are their own "event" they usually have nothing at all to do with the theme of the party, Lilah's choice this year being a perfect example.


Well, why not? I have a copy of Bakerella's Cake Pops book which she studied thoroughly before choosing these. I told her that we could have different color cats, but no, "black, like in the book, Mommy.." The only addition is the "smile" on the cats. (She was a bit disturbed that the cats in the book had no mouths.)

Oh, and they had to be chocolate.


 So, I made my cake balls, (I think I've finally figured out the right size) and added the sticks.


Dipped them in the black candy coating, used my super-classy priority mail box (thank goodness Aunt Bernadette sends us one every birthday!) as a stand, and started decorating.


I used chocolate chips for the ears. What goes better with chocolate than more chocolate, right?


Then added candy dots for the eyes and nose. The pupils are black candy coating applied with a toothpick. The "smiles" are red candy coating drawn on using a toothpick as well.


Meee--ooowww! The gang's all here! 


A special birthday treat for my special birthday girl! 


4 comments:

  1. These cake pops are so cute. I wouldn't mind them for my birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Qué bonitos! So nice!

    I invite you to visit my blog! Hand sculpted cakes! XXX from Spain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute cake pops! I love cats! and cake so great combo!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!