Saturday, March 30, 2013

Happy 5th Birthday!

For the last 2 weeks we have been getting ready for our daughter's 5th birthday party, party bannershomemade pinatas, and an outfit to go with the rainbow theme, we were all so excited to celebrate the milestone birthday party last weekend.

I'd finished the cake and gone to bed only to be woken up an hour or so later by a very sick little girl. Out of the blue a nasty little stomach virus, which kept us up most of the night and made a birthday party the next day out of the question.

Needless to say, she was devastated. And angry. That was a rough day, for sure. So I called, emailed and texted our guests, explained the situation and invited them all to come to a party the next weekend.

Thankfully, almost everyone was able to come this weekend, and my girl got to have her special day after all.

I hung one of the pennant banners on our front window to welcome everyone.


I used the other 3 on the back porch.


With the name pennant in the center.


Using and idea from Pinterest, I bought 6 colored vinyl table cloths, 1 in each rainbow color, gathered them to a point at the front of the porch, then draped them toward the back.


Then I added some balloons at the front, the center back and the two side points. This turned out to be so easy, inexpensive, and so fun. 

Since I'm not a huge fan of "goodie bags", I try to do some kind of fun take home craft at the kid's parties. For a rainbow party, the possibilities are practically endless, but I finally settled on sand art. We set up a table just off the porch, put the sand in containers with spoons, had a basket full of shaped plastic bottles, and let them have at it. 


I thought this would be fun, but I had no idea. The kids loved this craft. They're all old enough now to be able to help each other, take turns, and really enjoy what they created.

After lunch and snacks, my husband and our friend Mike hung up the much anticipated pinata.


And it didn't take long for those kids to break it! I was so excited, I forgot to take pictures (plus I was in charge of holding the line of kids back) but the looks on their faces when they made holes in the pinata and the candy started spilling out was priceless! 

And finally, CAKE

So, yes, I made this cake twice. It's not like you can save a cake for a week. (Truthfully, the second cake came out better looking than the first one.) I made one 9 inch round chocolate cake and one 6 inch round vanilla cake. I set them side by side on a large board with the smaller cake on some pedestals. Then I sculpted a rainbow from colored fondant and put it between the two cakes. Then I added some cotton candy for clouds at the base on each cake.


Oh, the birthday girl was so happy! She really wanted the cake to be "the same", so I did my best.


She certainly looks happy, doesn't she? 

Well, we did it. She is officially 5 years old, a big kid, not a baby anymore, going to be in kindergarten (eek!!) next year, and can do everything all by herself, thankyouverymuch.....


My big kid. Amazing how fast time goes. Love you, baby girl!

***Thanks to all our friends that came to our party a week late! I can't even tell you how much that meant to Lilah. And to me. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. ***



1 comment:

  1. Love everything! Glad Milan had such a good time.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!