Monday, March 25, 2013

Rainbow Applique T-Shirt

I bought a few plain short sleeved girls' t-shirts last year on clearance at Target, I think they were around $1.50 each, just to have around the house in case of an emergency.

What kind of emergency can be solved with a plain t-shirt?

I'm so glad you asked!

For one thing, they make awesome go-to gifts, add a cute applique to the front, buy a cute skirt, pair of shorts or some fun leggings, and voila! instant semi-handmade gift. They're especially fun to customize to a child's favorite activity, animal, or toy.

In my house, if it's your birthday, you get a theme related t-shirt, or in my daughter's case, a new outfit. This year, with all the other things I've been making, I didn't really want to make an entire outfit. So, I grabbed a t-shirt from the closet, tried it on her, got approval on the color, and set to work.

After thinking for a bit, I decided to make the rainbow from strips of ribbon sewn together. I have a huge box of ribbon just begging to be used.



I found various widths and styles of ribbon and laid them all out. (Whoops! Looks like I got the green and blue reversed here! Luckily, it didn't get sewn on that way.) Then, beginning with the purple ribbon, I sewed each piece onto a piece of plain white cotton.


The purpose of the fabric underneath is partly for stability, so the ribbon doesn't come apart when I cut out the shape, and so that I have something flat to fuse the Heat Bond to.

Once all the ribbon was sewn down, I drew an arch shape on the back of the fabric, and cut it out making a rainbow. Then I fused the rainbow onto some Heat Bond, and cut the whole thing out.


I trimmed away the white fabric at the top of the rainbow, I liked the look of the rick rack as it was, but when my daughter got home from school and saw it, she wanted me to add a pink ribbon at the top to fill in the spaces. And for the pink. Because there is always a need for pink.


As a finishing touch, I added the 2 pieces of flower ribbon for "clouds". I have to admit, she was right, the pink adds a nice touch.

I paired the shirt with a simple skirt that I made using some rainbow fabric from my stash. (I'm still tinkering with that pattern but I hope to share that one soon.) and in less than 2 hours, she has a whole new outfit for her birthday party.


She can't wait to wear it! She's extra excited about this one because she got to "design" her rainbow. I think we may have a future designer on our hands!



Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!