Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Rainbow Pennant Banner

Well, I am gearing up for my daughter's 5th birthday party this week. I cannot believe my baby is going to be 5! So, what's next kindergarten, then college?? Sniff. Sniff.

My emotions aside, there's a party to be thrown, so let's get to it!

After some negotiating, we settled on a rainbow party theme this year. Lots of fun possibilities there.

The first thing I wanted to make was a party banner, I have so much fabric, why not make one instead of buying? I went through my fabric stash and picked out my rainbow colors. (Disclaimer, I didn't have a good indigo, so I decided to skip the "I" in ROYGBIV)


After choosing the fabrics, and getting approval from the birthday girl, I made a pattern out of some shirt cardboard. (Save that stuff, it comes in really handy) 



I cut out 4 of each color fabric and 24 out of white kona cotton.


Next, I sewed one colored triangle to one white triangle right sides together, then clipped the point and trimmed any excess on the seams. Once I had them all sewn, I turned them right side out, then pressed them flat. The reason I decided to use a backing fabric was because the purple and orange fabrics are pretty thin, I wanted all the triangles to have some body to them and not be see-through.

Then, I sewed the triangles onto different colored double fold bias tape. I placed each triangle 1 inch apart.



I decided to make 4 individual banners since I'm not quite sure how I'm going to use them yet. This way they can either be hung separately or tied together to form one long banner.


I also wanted to make a banner with her name on it, so I cut out 10 white triangles and was going to use these fabrics to make the letters in her name. But, then I remembered some cute Reilly Blake fat quarters I picked up at the quilt store a while ago, chevron fabric in a variety of colors, and decided to use those instead.

I appliqued the letters onto the triangles, then assembled the banner.  


Squeal!! How fun is that!? She actually hasn't seen the one with her name on it, I'm saving it for the big day. And to be honest, I'm still not sure exactly where/how these will be used, but I still have some time to figure that out. I love the way they turned out. Now to set them to the side and onto the next party project!



Linked Up HERE

3 comments:

  1. What a cute banner! I love the colors. I'm featuring this tomorrow night at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alexis!! I'm super excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!