Monday, March 25, 2013

Rainbow Pinata

Another fun thing I made for my daughter's 5th birthday party was a rainbow pinata.

Sure, you can buy a pinata, but I like to make things that can't be found in every store, and this turned out so cute, and was very simple to put together. You can easily make your own custom made pinata. This is how I did it.

First, I got some large cardboard and drew 2 rainbow shapes and cut them out.


These will be the 2 sides of the pinata. Next, I made some "braces" out of cardboard about 4-5 inches tall and hot glued them to one of the rainbow sides.


These will help hold the pinata together and make it 3-D. Then, I glued this piece to the other side of the rainbow. I used a lot of hot glue to make it nice and sturdy. Once the glue is dry, you have a 3-D cardboard rainbow, and the skeleton of your pinata.


The next thing I did was to hot glue some shirt box cardboard on the bottom of the "legs" to help hold the candy inside. I also added some pieces along the sides and at the top of the rainbow, leaving an opening at the center top. This adds some stability and helps hold the shape.


The next day I gathered up the Sunday newspaper, scissors, some white glue, an empty sour cream container and an old chip brush and took everything outside. I watered down the glue a bit and painted it onto the cardboard, then added a strip of newspaper and painted more glue over that. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you have the all the open parts covered. Again, don't forget to leave an opening at the top to put your candy and prizes in.


I started on the bottom arch but you can start anywhere. Just remember to allow everything to dry before adding another layer so that you don't end up ripping the paper or the cardboard. 


I ended up doing 3 layers of newspaper on the bottom, (where all the weight will be) and only 2 on the top of the arch. One of the reasons I don't really like the store bought pinatas is because they're made too solid and often don't break even when the star of the baseball team gets his or her turn to whack it. It's way more fun when the kids can actually break them. I think. Maybe it doesn't really matter to the kids, but I think it's way more exciting.

Anyway, where was I?

Oh, right! The next step is to add the colored tissue paper. What is a rainbow, without the colors?


I applied a layer of tissue paper, one color at a time, the same way that I did the newspaper. Ending up with this-


I let the whole thing dry overnight. When it was dry, I cut a bunch of strips of tissue paper and started gluing them on top of their respective colors, scrunching the tissue as I went. 

That's the technical term. Scrunching.

The effect I got was kind of fan-like and kind of ruffly. (also technical terms) 


I started at the top with the red, and just added each color on top following the existing color lines.


I did the ruffles along the bottom legs of the rainbow, but left the center purple and along the top (red) the way they were. I didn't want to add too many layers, remember I want the kids to break this! Once this was dry, I flipped it over and did the same on the other side. The tissue gets flattened a bit, but it's easily fluffed back up.

Last, punch a hole through both sided of the cardboard at the top (behind the ruffles) and add your rope to hang it. On the day of the party, add your candy and prizes and let the kids beat it to a pulp!


Squeeeee!!! How cute is that?! Simple, right?? It might seem like a lot of steps, but once you get going, it comes together really fast, I swear! 

I'll let you know if it breaks easily, my dream is that the birthday girl gets to break it, but we'll have to wait and see.

Linked Up HERE


9 comments:

  1. I love it! I'm planning a rainbow party for my kiddos. Maybe I'll make one of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You should try it, it was really fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, so cute. I would love for you to come and share this at our link party.

    http://www.huckleberrylove.com/2013/03/much-ado-about-monday-no-2-and-features.html

    Hope to see you there,

    Jamie
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jamie, I will! Thanks so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute & cool!!!

    I have nominated you and your wonderful blog for the Liebster Award. Check out my post @ http://usscrafty.blogspot.com/2013/03/liebster-blog-award.html

    Navy Wifey Peters Aboard the USS Crafty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thanks Tonna! I'm really flattered! I love your blog name, I'll be browsing around your blog for sure!

      Delete
  6. This is so cute!
    Thank you for linking up to Much Ado About Monday on Huckleberry Love. Please come back every Monday and party with us!

    Karla
    www.huckleberrylove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How easy was it to break?
    I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was actually pretty easy to break, I don't think we even made through the line of kids once.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!