Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Flip-Flop Fix

My daughter got two really cute pairs of flip-flops for her birthday last month. (Thanks, Grandma!) Unfortunately, since the straps are made out of that rubbery plastic, she can't wear them without getting blisters. And, naturally, I threw away the tags and receipts, so there's no way to return them.

We were bummed.

Then I stumbled on a post at Sassy Sanctuary, where she replaced the plastic straps on her flip flops with fabric. Brilliant!

Off to the fabric stash we went, where Lilah chose 2 fabrics she liked for the new straps. (We have now arrived at the stage where if I don't consult her on fabrics for outfits or accessories, she will not wear them. Ever. So, even though sometimes the fabric she chooses wouldn't be my choice, well.....I can always make my own clothes, can't I??)

First, I pulled off the old straps.



Then I cut 2 strips of fabric 13" long X 1 1/2" wide, one for each front "toe loop" and 2 strips 18" long X 2 1/2" wide one strap for each flip flop. The lengths we really just guesses, I just wanted to make sure I had enough fabric to knot on the bottom. They turned out to be good guesses!


I cut my strips, ironed them so the edges were finished and sewed them to make smaller straps.


Next, I took the smaller strap and pushed both ends through the front hole on the flip flop, making a loop.


Then, I put one end of the longer strap through each side hole, threading it through the front loop. (I forgot to take a photo of that, but it's simple to figure out.) Then, after she tried the shoe on, I adjusted the straps, turned the shoes over and tied knots at the bottom holes. I used hot glue to secure the knots in place, it's probably not necessary, but kids are hard on shoes and I wanted the extra strength.


Nice, soft, fabric straps for the flip-flops, yay! Aren't her feet cute?


I could have stopped there, but since she asked so nicely, I pulled the decorations off the old straps and added them to the new ones.


It will be interesting to see how these wear, especially through an Arizona summer, but now I know how to easily fix or replace the straps. I may have to go buy some cheap flip flops for me, I have lots of fabric in my stash just itching to be used! 


Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!