Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Letter Shelves

Our house is not very big. When my husband and I bought it in 2004, it was just the 2 of us and 2 medium sized dogs, so the house seemed huge. Jump to 2013 and the addition of 2 other people (small though they are) and all the stuff that they've accumulated, and our house has grown much, much smaller.

And our kids share a bedroom, which puts space at an even greater premium.

So the question is, what do you do when you have no more floor space for furniture to store all the stuff?

Answer: you start climbing the walls. (snicker, snicker) With shelves, of course, I meant shelves.

The inspiration for these shelves came from Ana White and can be found HERE. (I could spend all day on her site. Seriously.) When I saw them, I raced into my kids' bedroom with the blue painter's tape and taped their letters on the wall.


Where they stayed for several months. Until last weekend. I went and bought some lumber, and my husband drew up some plans for the shelves. Plans. Complete with a cut list for each shelf and the math already done.


Dude. And he helped build them. My hubby rocks! (Please note, if you're going to use these drawings to build your own, remember to double check all your measurements!)


After cutting all the wood, I made 2 piles and we started building the shelves.


We used 1X6 lumber for the shelves and 1/4" luan for the backs.


The "L" shelf finished and waiting for paint.


The "E" shelf finished. I was pleasantly surprised how quickly  these went together, I think they took us a little under 2 hours to build, thanks honey!


I base coated them both with white paint. Once that was dry, I painted the "E" a bright royal blue and the "L" pink. 


 Then, I glued the 1/4" luan back pieces together along the edges.


I decided to cover the back pieces with fabric. I found some pink and white polka dot for the "L" and some red and white chevron for the "E".


I used spray adhesive to apply the fabric to the front of the luan, then coated the letters with a glossy polyurethane.


After the backs were dry, I nailed them onto the shelves with a brad nailer and attached the hanging hardware.


Then I had my husband hang them in the kids bedroom. They were so excited to finally get their shelves, they were running around the house looking for things to put on them. I was just happy to get all the little odds and ends off the dresser.


So much fun! And how can you beat more storage?! I just may make one with my initial for my craft room!


Linked Up HERE

6 comments:

  1. Wow, what a cool idea! This is so cute and I love that it's personalized for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very clever idea! Thank you for sharing! I’d love to have you visit me at Get Your Crap Together! We have a Pattern Party with free patterns from the 1st of the month to the 10th that I’d love for you to check out. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! I'm you newest follower, love your blog name! Have a great week!

      Delete
  3. So creative and impressive! They look amazing! What kid wouldn't want a shelf in their initial? Fantastic job! Thanks so much for sharing at Much Ado About Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey there! Thanks so much for visiting our blog and linking up such an awesome project! Have a great week!

    Susie@Bowdaba
    http://bowdabrablog.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!