Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Dresses

Last week I decided to indulge myself a little bit. I had bought several women's dress patterns last summer that I never got around to doing anything with, mostly because I spent last summer making a wide variety of skirts for myself instead. By the end of summer I had pretty much run out of steam and the dresses never happened.

Now, since I have more than enough skirts, I decided to pull out the dress patterns and see what I could come up with.

I ended up with a ton of knit fabric at the end of the summer, so I was really happy to find a dress pattern for knits. I used Butterick Pattern # B5456 for this dress.


The fabric is a fairly lightweight jersey, but the pattern calls for lining the top, so I figured it would work.


I love the keyhole and tie detail in the back of the dress.


My husband, who usually doesn't have an opinion about my fabric choices, loved this fabric. I think he actually got excited when he saw it out on the ironing board.


So, I decided to wear it for our date night. My only regret with this one was that I didn't have enough fabric to make the long version, otherwise, it turned out great.

The second dress I made with Mother's Day in mind. I used Simplicity Pattern # 2886 to make this dress using a vintage bed sheet for the fabric.

  

This was an easy one to put together, only some minor adjusting needed under the arms. Otherwise the fit is great. I love the look of the fabric with the style of the dress, it turned out just the way I'd envisioned it. I love it when that happens!


It's nice and lightweight, excellent for Arizona summers and can easily be paired with a cardigan. The best part is that it has pockets! Pockets!!


I wore it on Mother's Day with my two favorite little people by my side. They look really thrilled, don't they?
Ah, well, I guess I'm lucky they stood still at all!

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!!


Linked Up HERE

8 comments:

  1. Great dresses! I especially love the first one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It is super comfortable!

      Delete
  2. Great job! I especially love the first dress with the keyhole detail, that is super cute! I kind of want one for myself...

    www.domesticblisssquared.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait to make a longer version of the first one. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both dresses, but the color in the second dress really brings out your eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute, I love that pattern!
    ~Jamie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!