Friday, June 21, 2013

Easiest Re-Fashion Ever!

Really. They just don't come any easier than this. Last summer I bought this skirt at the thrift store.


I loved the fabric, and I think my plan at the time was to make it into a summer dress for my daughter. But it got shoved to the bottom of my "to-do" basket instead, where it has been until this week when I decided to clean the whole basket out. My daughter saw it, loved it, and said, "oh, a pretty skirt!"

And when I held it up to her, I thought, well why not?? So, I turned this skirt into......(wait for it).....


......a SKIRT!

Specifically, I turned that junior girls skirt into a maxi skirt for my 5 year old daughter. Here's how I did the quick and simple refashion.

First, I pulled out the old, broken zipper and took off the waistband.


Next, I ran some gathering stitches along the top edge of the skirt, and re-cut the waistband to my daughter's waist size, which is 20 inches. At first, I was going to gather the whole skirt into the waistband, but once I started, I decided to gather only from the back to the side seams.


Then, I simply sewed the waistband back on to the skirt and put in a new zipper. 


And that's it. Done. The length was perfect so I didn't even need to re-do the hem.


The gathers in the back give it a little bustle effect and still allows the skirt to be nice and full.



Most importantly, she loves it. She's been very into long skirts this summer, so my timing with this one couldn't be better. Which, of course, was my plan all along. 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!


Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!