Monday, July 1, 2013

Sewing for Charity---Dress A Girl Around the World

I love to sew.

I know, it probably seems like I'm stating the obvious after reading this blog for 5 minutes, but let me explain further.

I don't exactly remember learning to sew, it just seems like something I could always do, like reading. I know my mother taught me how to use her old Singer when I was a kid, I remember practicing sewing straight lines and circles and making clothes for my dolls and Barbies. Since then, sewing has always been a major part of my life, first in college as a theatre major, then in my career as a theatre artisan both in costume shops and in props shops all over the country.

Sewing, crafting with fabric, designing, and working with my hands has been invaluable to me throughout my life, it's something I'm proud to be able to do and proud to share with others, so when I found a local chapter of Dress A Girl Around the World, it was a natural fit. This organization offers a way to give something tangible to girls in need all over the world. And really, what girl doesn't love a new dress?

Plus, since the style of the dress is very simple, it's a great way to show off some mad sewing skills. These are the dresses I made for this month's meetup.




I was able to make 7 in all, in sizes ranging from 2/3 to 5/6, each one a little bit different.


I've been hoarding this fabric for a long time, it's super soft and lightweight. Size 2


These pockets are actually 4 pockets, to hold more stuff. Size 2/3


This is another fabric I've been holding onto, hmmm, maybe I have a problem....Size 5/6


This one is actually from a pillowcase, love this fabric! Size 2/3


This one is my favorite. I used small black ribbon over the seams to emphasize the color blocking. 
Size 3/4


Sadly, this was the last of this fabric. Size 3


How cute are these little fish?? Size 2/3


Whew! That's a lot of dresses! (Now, don't go thinking I'm superwoman, I didn't sew them all in one day) And you can see that even using the same silhouette, with each color variation, the addition of pockets or trim, each dress is special. The one element that is also sewn into each of these dresses, the one that you can't see, is the one that starts with "L". The ladies that run our chapter, Dee and Carol, and all the ladies who sew these dresses, myself included, envision the little girls who will wear them, knowing that each child is as unique as her dress.


My goal for next month is to make some dresses in some larger sizes for the older girls. I already have some fun design ideas, and I'm looking forward to getting started. If anyone in Tucson would like to join our meetup, here is the link--Dress A Girl Tucson, we're always happy to have sewers, people to cut dresses, assemble kits to take home and sew, and several other tasks in order to get the dresses made. Everyone is welcome. In the meantime, happy sewing!



**I am not a spokesperson for Dress A Girl Around the World. This is a charity I choose to contribute my time to, I am in no way being compensated for this post.**

Linked Up HERE

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!