Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Stuffed Animal Zoo

This is one of those projects that has been on my back burner for a VERY long time. Probably because I sometimes overthink things (who, me? nooo!) and then can't decide how to proceed with a project. So, it gets pushed to the back of the line. Repeatedly.

But, like with most projects that I am determined to do, there comes a day when I get up and decide that today is the day, no more thinking, roll up my sleeves and get to work. So, off we go--

I wanted to build a stuffed animal zoo for my kid's bedroom. I'm sure you've probably seen this one on Pinterest or online somewhere, it's a great, simple design and a great space saver.


But, this one is too big for our space and too pricey for my budget, so with some extra help from my husband, I built my own version.

First, we decided on our size, 5' tall X 20" wide X 8" deep. Yep, you read that right, it has to fit in a very specific, small space. Then, my husband cut out all the pieces using mostly scrap 1x6 wood that we already had, I'm not quite over my issues with the table saw, so I had him do the cutting. Then I gathered up our wood, bungee cord, eye bolts and tools and started the assembly.


We decided to run 2 bungee cords vertically on the front and back face and 1 on each side for the "bars", so my husband pre-drilled the holes in the pieces before assembly.


I decided to give the pieces a quick base coat of white paint before I put them together. Once that was dry, I started laying out and assembling my frame.


Starting at one end, I stapled the short cross pieces to the longer ones making one side of the zoo. I made 2 of these.


On one of the sides, I attached the short "leg" pieces. At this point, my husband came out and suggested that it may be easier to put the eye bolts and bungee in before I put the 2 halves together, so I skipped to painting.

I used a dusty grey-blue that I already had, and the kids even helped paint one side of the frame. (That is, they painted for approximately 15 minutes, got bored, wandered off, then kept asking when it would be done.) 



Since the frame was blue, my daughter insisted we paint the letters pink.


Once everything was dry, I screwed the eye bolts into the pre-drilled holes.


Then, I strung the bungee cord through the eye bolts on both pieces.


Last, I put both pieces of the frame together, finishing the box.


Here's where I began to get nervous. Looking at that, I started thinking that it wasn't going to hold all of the stuffed animals that we have.


This is the pile of animals. GULP!

I am happy to say that I was wrong, they all fit with even some room to spare.


I was actually surprised at how much this thing will hold. So, now the animals are off the floor, you can see them (was I the only one who was unaware that we had 3 Kermit the Frogs??) and my daughter now has a whole new way to occupy her time by rearranging the zoo.


Look how happy Kermit is in his new home! snicker, snicker 

This was such and easy project and I'm happy to be able to cross it off my list, finally! I only have a few more things left to do in the kid's bedroom before I'll want to start all over again I'll be done and able to move on to another room, most likely back to the craft room/office, still plenty of work to do in there!

In the meantime, keep crossing things off the list, as my hubby would say. Happy building!


Linked Up HERE



1 comment:

  1. I've seen these and love that you did it all on your own. It turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!