Monday, August 12, 2013

Hanging Laundry Bag

Here's a quick sewing project that's been on my list for the last week or so, that I finally whipped up this afternoon. It's one of the last things that I've needed to finish in the kids' bedroom.

Da-da-da-dum!!  The hanging laundry bag!


With the kids going back to school this week, the time has come to rotate our "play" clothes and our school uniforms. I like to hang the shirts because I don't like to iron (unless it's for something I'm crafting, of course) and since my daughter is starting kindergarten this year, there are a lot more clothes hanging in the closet. So, I wanted the big laundry basket off the floor and out of the way. Plus, silly me, I'm hoping they might put their shoes in there this year, gasp!! 

So, I grabbed some fabric that I had quite a bit of (you could easily use a pillowcase), a large embroidery hoop (approximately 14 inches diameter), and a cup hook, and set to work.


I cut my fabric 27" long by the full width, 44". Next, I folded the fabric in half width-wise and sewed a 3/8" seam on the long edge and one of the short edges.


The long edge has is a selvage edge, so no finishing necessary, but I did go ahead and serge the bottom seam.  I also serged the top edge of the fabric, and finished it with a 2" hem.


Then, I just put the bag inside the embroidery hoop and tightened the rings. I did add a small piece of cotton yarn around the hoop for hanging purposes. Last, I put a cup hook on the back of the bedroom door, and hung it up.


Voila! A half an hour, no cost, and no more laundry on the closet floor!

I hope.


Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!