These were really fun and easy to make. Since I wrote a partial tutorial for the Buzz costume last year (see above link), I'll show you how I did the Jessie dress.
First, the fabrics. For the Jessie dress I used all cotton fabrics, with a strip of lightweight denim above the cow fabric and some red string sequins for the trim.
I just fell in love with that yellow houndstooth fabric and I was lucky enough to find the perfect piece of cow print fabric at our local discount fabric store.
I started with the skirt. Using the full width of the cow fabric and an equal width of denim fabric, I sewed the 2 lengths of fabric together. Then I sewed a seam up the back, and gathered the top to form the skirt. I also went ahead and hemmed the bottom.
Then I set the skirt aside. For the top, I used white cotton and created a fake button front panel with the yellow yoke and straps.
Basically, I drew an arch shape on the back of the yellow fabric, folded it in half, and cut along the lines. Then I folded the edge under about 1/4" and topstitched it to the white fabric. One front piece and one back piece.
Next, I laid out my sequin trim and sewed it onto the front yoke piece. I did use my machine to sew the sequins on, sewing very slowly and carefully. Once the trim was in place, I sewed the 2 side seams of the top together.
Then I sewed the straps of the dress onto the top. The straps ended up about 2" wide with just a tiny gather near the outer edge. Once the straps were on, I stitched the top of the dress to the skirt, right sides together.
Then, turned it right side out, added some buttons to the front and gave out a yodel. Okay, I didn't really yodel, but I did smile and there may have been some sighing and ooohing and ahhhing over the cuteness of the dress.
But, wait! There's one last thing. I decided to make wrist cuffs since I had a bunch of the yellow houndstooth and red sequins left over. These were really simple. I cut out 2 pieces of yellow fabric and 2 lining pieces from the white fabric in a sort of trapezoid shape.
Last, I overlapped the lower corners, and added some snaps to close them. I also added a button on the front to match the top.
Perfect for a tiny wrist. So, the whole outfit together looks like this--
I am so pleased with how these turned out, I really hope the girls enjoy wearing them as much as I enjoyed making them!
Linked Up HERE