Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Toy Story Costumes

Last Halloween I made a toddler girl's Buzz Lightyear costume, using a simple sundress pattern. This Halloween I got a request for that costume again, along with a coordinating Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl dress. Here's the 2013 version the dresses.


These were really fun and easy to make. Since I wrote a partial tutorial for the Buzz costume last year (see above link), I'll show you how I did the Jessie dress.

First, the fabrics. For the Jessie dress I used all cotton fabrics, with a strip of lightweight denim above the cow fabric and some red string sequins for the trim.


I just fell in love with that yellow houndstooth fabric and I was lucky enough to find the perfect piece of cow print fabric at our local discount fabric store.

I started with the skirt. Using the full width of the cow fabric and an equal width of denim fabric, I sewed the 2 lengths of fabric together. Then I sewed a seam up the back, and gathered the top to form the skirt. I also went ahead and hemmed the bottom.


Then I set the skirt aside. For the top, I used white cotton and created a fake button front panel with the yellow yoke and straps.


Basically, I drew an arch shape on the back of the yellow fabric, folded it in half, and cut along the lines. Then I folded the edge under about 1/4" and topstitched it to the white fabric. One front piece and one back piece.


Next, I laid out my sequin trim and sewed it onto the front yoke piece. I did use my machine to sew the sequins on, sewing very slowly and carefully. Once the trim was in place, I sewed the 2 side seams of the top together.


Then I sewed the straps of the dress onto the top. The straps ended up about 2" wide with just a tiny gather near the outer edge. Once the straps were on, I stitched the top of the dress to the skirt, right sides together.


Then, turned it right side out, added some buttons to the front and gave out a yodel. Okay, I didn't really yodel, but I did smile and there may have been some sighing and ooohing and ahhhing over the cuteness of the dress.

But, wait! There's one last thing. I decided to make wrist cuffs since I had a bunch of the yellow houndstooth and red sequins left over. These were really simple. I cut out 2 pieces of yellow fabric and 2 lining pieces from the white fabric in a sort of trapezoid shape.


Just like the top, I sewed the sequins onto the yellow fabric. Then I sewed the white lining to the yellow fabric, right sides together, leaving a spot open on the bottom to turn the cuff right side out.


Last, I overlapped the lower corners, and added some snaps to close them. I also added a button on the front to match the top.


Perfect for a tiny wrist. So, the whole outfit together looks like this--


Cute, right?? Let's see them both together again, shall we?


I am so pleased with how these turned out, I really hope the girls enjoy wearing them as much as I enjoyed making them!




Linked Up HERE

9 comments:

  1. Oh I really like these costumes, especially the cowgirl costume! Great job!

    Navy Wifey Peters @ Submarine Sunday Link Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so adorable! What fun costumes! Too bad here in Utah we would need coats over them... ;-) I'm featuring this tonight at my link party and pinning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alexis!! I'm so excited for the feature! Are you guys already getting snow up there?? Hope you have a great Halloween!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for linking to Take-A-Look Tuesday over at Sugar Bee Crafts - you were featured today!
    --Mandy, SugarBeeCrafts.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE these! As a co-host of the Lovely Ladies linky party, I want to say thanks for stopping and sharing with us. I've pinned them onto my costume board and will be sharing on my Facebook page as well, too cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What cool Halloween costume ideas! We love it! Our newest showcase is here and we hope you stop in and share again! ---> http://bowdabra.com/?p=413

    Susie @Bowdabra

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!