Monday, May 13, 2013

Summer Dresses

Last week I decided to indulge myself a little bit. I had bought several women's dress patterns last summer that I never got around to doing anything with, mostly because I spent last summer making a wide variety of skirts for myself instead. By the end of summer I had pretty much run out of steam and the dresses never happened.

Now, since I have more than enough skirts, I decided to pull out the dress patterns and see what I could come up with.

I ended up with a ton of knit fabric at the end of the summer, so I was really happy to find a dress pattern for knits. I used Butterick Pattern # B5456 for this dress.


The fabric is a fairly lightweight jersey, but the pattern calls for lining the top, so I figured it would work.


I love the keyhole and tie detail in the back of the dress.


My husband, who usually doesn't have an opinion about my fabric choices, loved this fabric. I think he actually got excited when he saw it out on the ironing board.


So, I decided to wear it for our date night. My only regret with this one was that I didn't have enough fabric to make the long version, otherwise, it turned out great.

The second dress I made with Mother's Day in mind. I used Simplicity Pattern # 2886 to make this dress using a vintage bed sheet for the fabric.

  

This was an easy one to put together, only some minor adjusting needed under the arms. Otherwise the fit is great. I love the look of the fabric with the style of the dress, it turned out just the way I'd envisioned it. I love it when that happens!


It's nice and lightweight, excellent for Arizona summers and can easily be paired with a cardigan. The best part is that it has pockets! Pockets!!


I wore it on Mother's Day with my two favorite little people by my side. They look really thrilled, don't they?
Ah, well, I guess I'm lucky they stood still at all!

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!!


Linked Up HERE

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dress Up Storage 2

A few years ago, before I was brave enough to tackle wood projects on my own, my good friend Anthony and I built this Dress Up Storage shelf for my kids.

Little did I know that in just 2 short years, I'd be building a newer version of that one on my own for 2 very special little girls.

I used these plans, Dress Up Center, from Ana White, followed her instructions, and in a few hours (minus time to paint) I was done. Saa-weeet!!


One of the things that makes this project so quick to build is the fact that you can buy all the lumber in 4 foot lengths, no need to cut anything!


My pile of lumber waiting to be put together.


Okay, wait, I lied a little bit. This is the one spot where I used a saw. I used a jigsaw to cut out the detail on the side boards. 

I also put a base coat of paint on some of the boards before I started building. Then I ran out of white paint, so I just skipped the rest.


One giant lesson I've learned over and over while building these shelves is to pre-drill the holes for the screws. It makes putting things together SO much easier, and the wood is less likely to crack, especially near the corners and the edges, as I'm attaching the sides.


That top shelf was nice and tight, had to hit it with a mallet a few times to convince it to get into place.


I got the whole thing built in about 3 hours, spackled over all the screw holes and sanded the whole thing. Then, I went to the store to get some more white paint and finished the base coat.


The next day, I put on 2 coats of Disney Princess Pink (that's the actual name of the color), I guess my daughter's not the only one who lives in a pink world!


Once that was dry, I added the lettering. And I liked it, but I thought it needed a little something. That is a lot of pink, after all.


So, I added some little flowers across the top piece, which mirror the shape of the knobs on the sides.


I bought the flower knobs on clearance at JoAnn Fabrics just because I liked them and really wanted them, thank goodness I had this project to put them on! They will be great for hanging purses, necklaces, hairbands, wigs, or whatever else the girls can think of. 


And that was it, really easy and quick to build, two of my very favorite things. It's also nice and big, lots of room in there for princess dresses! I hope they love it as much as I loved building it for them!


Linked Up HERE