Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Entry Way Sign

One of the things that happens when you move is that your old furniture can sometimes be hard to fit into your new house. Today's project being a perfect example.

A few years ago I made The Landing Pad for the kids' backpacks, coats, shoes, and other junk, uh....stuff that they bring home from school. And it has been great, especially for the shoes. Unfortunately, there is just not a place for that particular configuration in our new house. Believe me, I tried it everywhere! However, since I had enough foresight to make it 2 pieces, it turned out to be an easy re-do.

The kids will be taking the bus to and from school this year, and so I decided to leave the bottom cube near the front door for their shoes. And we had a store bought coat rack that was narrow enough to hang on the wall above it, which took care of the practical part. But what to do with the left over piece?

I liked the idea of making a sign, but where to hang it? And what should it say? Well, I spent the last 2 weeks moving that piece of wood around the house, and finally brought it back to the entry way.

Here's what I came up with.  Forgive the akward photography on this, it was very hard to get a good angle.


All the components are still there, just used differently. I decided to do some more aging on both pieces using a dark walnut stain. 


Once that was dry, (and boy does it take stain longer to dry in Georgia than it does in Arizona!) I printed out the letters of our last name in a font that I liked.


I sketched the letters onto the board using some chalk and filled them in with white paint.


Wow! That's some bright white!!


Too bright for me, so I went over the letters with the stain and added some shadowing to the letters. I also added the date at the bottom, which is the year that my husband and I first started dating. Awwwwww!


And there is our new drop zone. As you can see, it's still in summer mode with the swim bag and flip flops. But it will soon be filled with backpacks and lunch boxes! (Yes, I am just a bit excited for the start of school, how could you tell?) 




Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!