Friday, July 11, 2014

Little Book Bags

Moving can be exciting, scary, thrilling, and pretty exhausting all rolled into one big question mark. It takes some time to get your bearings in a new city or town, but there is one place I've always found comforting in its familiarity in every new town.

The library.

Libraries are like havens to me. For one thing, they have books. And if that's not enough, they have librarians, who are often some of the most connected folks in the town. So, information in many forms. And everyone is welcome at the library. Plus, children's programs, which is an excellent place to take the kids at least once a week--for free!

Naturally, the library was one of our first stops where we all got new library cards. Yep, the kids got their own cards this summer and in order to make using (and not losing) the cards as easy as possible for both of them, I made them some new library bags.


These couldn't be simpler. I used my favorite tote bag pattern re-sized for the kids. I used plain canvas for the outside so they would be nice and sturdy, and let the kids choose some fun fabrics from my stash for the linings. 


I cut the canvas and lining approximately 14" wide X 24" long. I also wanted a pocket for the library card, so I found some clear vinyl and cut it just slightly larger than the card itself. I also cut out some letters to use as an applique on the front of the bag.


I sewed the letters onto the front of the bag, then sewed on the vinyl pocket leaving it open at the top. Then I added some bias tape around the outside of the vinyl to give the pocket some reinforcement and as a decorative touch. (On my daughter's bag I used pink rick-rack on the pocket.) 


Then, I stitched up the sides and corners of the bag and the lining and after adding the straps, stitched them together along the top edge of the bag.


And as quick as that, 2 simple and cute bags ready to go to our new libray to be filled up with books!



Here is the happy first time library card holder!


And the old pro!


And off to the library we go!! 

I hope everyone is enjoying their libraries this summer and their summer reading as much as we are!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!