But today I'm sharing what was my first crafty project of the new house. A simple knit baby blanket. (Now, don't get ideas, I am NOT having another baby.)
No, this blanket will more than likely go to Project Linus. Most of my small quilts and blankets do.
Anyway, here's what happened. I packed up my sewing machines in May. We moved in June. By the time we were a week into unpacking, I was literally twitching from all the pent up stress. I needed an outlet. My hands had NOTHING to do, and they were driving me nuts!
So, in the middle of the afternoon, in the middle of all the unpacking and the chaos, I dug out my bin of needles, hooks, and yarn and found a basic baby blanket pattern online. I used the Super Easy Baby Blanket pattern from the Purl Bee, and a bunch of Caron Simply Soft yarn I had in the bin. I went into my bedroom, closed the door and refused to come out. (Those of you that know me personally, well....you can probably picture this happening!)
And knit I did! for about a week straight, every late afternoon and evening. Unpacking and getting organized be damned! I could feel my center start to regain it's balance, and I got calmer with every stripe. And after the week was over, I had a cute little blanket, and I was a much happier camper!
But then I noticed something odd. The blanket seemed a little...small. But.....I used the right needles, and the correct type of yarn, the width was right, but the blanket seemed too short. So, I went back and checked the pattern and sure enough, I had misread the row count. Instead of 11 ridges of every color, I had 11 rows. Which basically means that my stripes should be twice as wide as they are in order to match the size in the pattern.
Ah, well. So, I have a vertically striped baby blanket instead of a horizontally striped one. Not a big deal.
I still like it, and more importantly it helped me get my groove back. The moral of the story is partly--double check your patterns and partly--when you need to get your craft on, just do it!