Friday, August 1, 2014

Quick Thrifted T-Shirt Skirt

I'm in a re-fashioning mood today. I'm also a bit unfocused, so I pulled this project out of the bin and made a thrifted women's tank top into a cute new skirt for my girl in less than 30 minutes.


I picked this up at the local Goodwill store for $1.50 last week. I'm really into stripes right now and I really like the colors in this shirt. (Thank goodness it had pink or the girl wouldn't touch it!) So, let's get started.


I cut the top of the shirt off right below the buttons. The stripes gave me a nice line to follow.


Then I ran a gathering stitch along the top edge. See that lovely, already hemmed bottom edge?  Nothing to do there!


Using what was left of the shirt, I cut out 2 pieces for the waistband.


 I serged them along each side making a tube which I folded in half and ironed. Now, you could sew the yoga style waistband onto the skirt at this point just the way it is, but since I have a super-skinny daughter, I added some elastic in the waistband to help hold it up. (If it were for me, I would skip the elastic--I don't have the super-skinny issue.)


Then I pinned the waistband along the top of the skirt, right sides together, and serged the 2 pieces together.


Once that was done, I gave the seam a quick press with the iron.


And your thrift store t-shirt is now a cute little girl's skirt! (I think it took longer to write about it than to make it!)


Just add the cute little girl and you are all finished!


She has some kind of style doesn't she??


The skirt ended up a bit longer than knee length, which I like because it gives her longer to wear it. And really, what is more comfy than a nice knit skirt in the steamy month of August?




Linked Up HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!