Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Zippered Pencil Pouch

Here's a fun, quick little project to whip up when you're in need of a unique birthday gift, or something special for back to school, or if you're really ambitious, you could make a bunch as party favors.

I found this version on Pinterest, and I thought it was so cute! I decided to try making one of my own.

I used 3 cotton fabrics from my stash for the pencil appliques and some off white home decor linen for the pouch. (This project would be an excellent scrapbuster.)


First I cut the linen to the size I wanted to make the bag. Next, I fused small strips of each cotton fabric to Heat Bond, then cut them to size.


I also cut some plain taupe cotton and small pieces of black cotton to make the pencil points. Once I had everything laid out, I used the iron to fuse all the fabrics to the front of the bag.


I used black thread to stitch the pencils in place as well as add some details. I also sewed the birthday girl's name near the top since I had plenty of room. Then I assembled the bag, including a lining and a zipper. (For an excellent zippered pouch tutorial, try this one at Sew Minty.)

Here is the finished project.


Simple, but super cute!


Once I had made one, I seriously wanted to make a dozen of them. I think these bags would work for almost anything, change the size, do a different applique and you could have a make-up pouch, a travel pouch for toy cars, a cell phone holder....just about anything! 



Linked Up HERE

1 comment:

  1. What a cute pencil pouch. Love all of your bright colors. Visiting from Some Day Crafts. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!