Sunday, September 7, 2014

Princess Anna Costume

This post should come as absolutely NO surprise to anyone that has a daughter who has seen the movie Frozen somewhere in the neighborhood of a bazillion and one times, amiright??

I mean, of course I made an Anna dress for my girl. You saw this one coming, right?


For this pattern I modified my favorite Simplicity Princess pattern (#0626) using the Snow White top as the guide for the vest. I made the skirt as stated in the pattern. For the under shirt I made a simple long sleeved t-shirt with a stand up collar using some jersey knit fabric and an existing long sleeve t-shirt for a pattern.


After sewing the skirt pieces together, I used a dark teal tulle as an overlay on the bottom edge of the skirt. I stitched the bottom edges together, then folded the tulle up toward the skirt and pinned it in place. I marked the circles with some tailor's chalk and a bowl (because I'm super scientific like that) and sewed along the lines. Then I cut away the excess fabric leaving the border and a finished hem.


Now, last year I had great success painting on satin for my Sofia the First costume, so I decided to use the same technique on this dress. I made stencils for each of the motifs and painted them on the skirt.



I painted each one using white as a base color first. I find that on a darker colored fabric, your colors will be brighter if you start with a white base.


Once I had them stenciled on, I went back in and added the colors. Then I used a clean cloth and a dry iron to heat set the paint.


For the top, I changed the neckline on the pattern to a "V" shape and left the sleeves off, then used some gold bias tape to bind the neck , arm, and waist edges. I used a velveteen fabric for the vest, which I couldn't paint, so I used Heat Bond and some fabric scraps to make appliques for the flower motifs instead.


I sewed the top to the skirt, then applied the gold binding along the waist seam. I made the t-shirt separately adding a piece of trim down the front as an accent.


And there you have it, in all of it's Frozen glory! I swear I sang "Let it Go" the entire time I was making this dress. And yes, I know that's not Anna's song, but it's the song that got stuck in my head.


Luckily, I had this beautiful girl to come wear the dress and sing the right song for me!


Do you want to build a snowman?? 




Linked Up HERE




4 comments:

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!