Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Beautiful Butterfly

Ready for number 2?? I know you saw this coming, the companion to The Hungry Caterpillar costume can really only be the Beautiful Butterfly, amiright?

So, let's get started. Again, I used mostly felt for this costume, partly for the stability and partly so that the 2 costumes would be of the same world. 


First, I cut out some basic wing shapes and laid them out roughly how I planned to sew them together.


Next, (and this was really the fun part) I used different overlapping fabrics to create details on the individual wings.



One of the things I've always loved about Eric Carle's illustrations is the combination of collage and watercolor, it creates such beautiful layers of color. 


Once I had all the fabrics laid out, I appliqued them on to each wing. I made 4 of each wing so that the wings would be double sided when finished


Once the wings were all stitched together, I added the body in the center. 


Ta-da! The finished wings. I'm so pleased with how they turned out. 


I added some elastic for her arms to go through at the wrists and near the shoulders.



I also made a tank top and a tutu to complete the look.


And here is the Beautiful Butterfly! 


I'm so happy with how these two costumes turned out, they were so fun to make!  


  

Linked Up HERE


2 comments:

  1. I saw this cute little costume over at Keeping it Simple Crafts. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking forward to making this for my daughter for this upcoming Halloween 😊 Thank you so much for the easy step by step instructions

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by, leave me a note to let me know you were here!