Welcome to 2014's Halloween costumes! This is becoming a pretty big thing around here, both the creating and the blogging parts, so I want to start with one of my hands down favorites.
A very nice woman from Massachusetts contacted me in September to make this set (oooh yes, it is a set) when she saw my blog post about the puppet set I'd made for my friend Libby back in 2012.
I'm always up for a new challenge and I loved making those puppets, so off I went.
I used a combination of felt and fleece to make the costume. The hat base is fleece, as are the eye appliques. I used felt for the antenna since it is a bit stiffer and stands up better.
Like so! Cute, right? And super quick and easy.
I used fleece to make all the caterpillar feet, 3 for each side, which I stuffed and set aside while I worked on the body.
The body is made from felt, which I doubled up for extra sturdiness. I stitched each segment together at the sides, then added the feet at the side seams as I went.
I used several different shades of green felt, alternating colors as I went.
I left the head opening large enough to go on over the head, and cut out armholes in the top section.
Last, I cut strips of felt and layered them along the center back and stitched them on making his "hairs".
And here he is, ready to chomp and devour his way through all the fruits, vegetables, and anything else that gets in his path.
And here's the back. With the "hairs". (That's what my daugther keeps calling them, I find it very amusing.)
And there it is, the first Halloween costume of my season! And remember, way back at the beginning, I hinted that there may be others in this set....
Linked Up HERE